Powered By Blogger

Monday 5 August 2013

Learning Reflection Two

Kia Orana Katoa

This week is Cook Island Language week. The theme is Toku Reo, Utuutu `Ia: My Language, Nurture it.

This theme has been running through my SP4Ed mOOC-after not quite finding my fit in the first few weeks of the course I feel like I have found my 'language', and I certainly feel that the last week and a half has nurtured it.

Scenario planning is one of the most exciting tools I have encountered. Last year I was invited to be part of the Strategic Leadership for Principals Programme. This programme focused on the development of medium and short term strategy supported by a business mentor. The process required us to identify drivers, but the plan that was developed was very insular and localised without an awareness of major trends and drivers that may impact on our strategy. Effectively we developed a well considered but disconnected plan of action. The SP4Ed mOOC has enabled me to begin to contextualise this plan.

One area of particular focus for me was the impact of mobile computing on developing educationally powerful relationships with our community. My observation was that although many of our whanau did not have internet access at home, a growing number of them had smart phones. My thesis was that through the use of apps, we could engage our students and their whanau around mobile computing. My mentor was the former Chief of Staff for the corporate Vice President of Microsoft, so was able to identify technologies and trends, but it was difficult to predict just how these developments would impact on learning. Scenario planning provides me with the perfect tool to do this.

The process of developing the scenario matrix has also been a clarifying exercise for me. Collaboration and accountability had been trends we had been discussing at a leadership level for some time, but now being able to draw up four scenarios around possible impacts of these drivers. I am looking forward to preparing these and sharing this with key stakeholders at school.

On another point I am beginning to get real clarity around my research topic as I can see how a guardianship framework in regard to matauranga (knowledge and intuitive intelligence), and hinengaro (the mind and its processes). I see clearly how this distinction between ideas and the outcome of these ideas can align with the original intent of copyright laws, the particular intent that Creative Commons seek to restore.

Reading case studies of New Zealand schools that have implemented Creative Commons policies now bring into a very real context what we are trying to achieve on our school, and how this will impact teachers and learners in whatever context.
I am looking forward to continuing to shape my assignments, and I can see strong links between the two. I feel like the athlete who at the point of giving in found his second wind. The only criticism I have is that the second wind is not a warm one blowing across a beach in Rarotonga!
Beach Scene on the southern coast of Rarotonga, photographed by Marcus Gleinig, 15 August 2004















4 comments:

  1. Kia ora,

    Yep -- you referenced the power of storytelling early in the course. This is the world of scenario planning. Great to see your research topic mature and gain greater clarity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a quick comment, I have been reading your posts with interest, both for the metaphors you have utilized, and the language and images you have woven together. I am learning from your blog, and appreciate the chance to 'see' through other peoples lens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been thinking about 'ownership' and was reminded of this post of yours. I was considering who owns knowledge in the future and at the same time was listening to an item on TV about intellectual ownership of carving designs and kowhaiwhai patterns. the two ideas collided, hence my commenting here- in the future with creative commons and OER how will indigenous groups frame ownership? do you have anything to enlighten me with?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This needs to be considered in terms of Thomas Jeffetson's original intent with the 1793 Copyright Law. Jefferson saw ideas as continuing to be in the public domain, but their creative output would have time limited protection to encourage creators to continue to create. The moves in the 1970s to include ideas as protected through the recognition of IP and the 1998 Sonny Bono Act proposed copyright to be extended to the life of the creator plus 20, effectively making second tier creations inaccessible. I think the notion of guardianship is a more useful way to consider both ideas and creative works. Creative Commons may be a mechanism to enable indigenous groups to make decisions about what they value, and how and who accesses it.

    ReplyDelete